HBO Fan Fiction Forum Index HBO Fan Fiction
Forum for HBO Fan Fiction Related Stuff

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Two Warriors' Songs

Post new topic   Reply to topic    HBO Fan Fiction Forum Index -> Fan Fiction Comments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
hboff
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2005 7:11 pm    Post subject: Two Warriors' Songs Reply with quote

This topic is for posting comments to:

Two Warriors' Songs
Posted by Cthulhu117 (spartan_eric_271@yahoo.com)
29 November 2005, 9:36 pm

http://halosn.bungie.org/fanfic/?story=Cthulhu1171129052136071.html
Pooman

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2005 1:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, at least I read your song.

It was okay.

Keep trying.

7/10.
Commander Demitri Wolf

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2005 6:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're rather lucky I read past the AN when I saw the word 'ppl'. If you're gonna write a long forward, speek properly, not in MSN talk. On another note, godo to see a new face here, I didn't mind your song, rather interesting really. Keep it up.
Chuckles

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2005 7:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You did a good job matching lyrics, but something seemed a bit off. It might just be me (and I really do mean that) but I think that the re-wording of a song should be used only for parody or protest. I see it this way: if comedies borrow from established and recognizable material (like the movies Shrek, Airplane or Hot Shots did) it is accepted because parody is an established form of comedy and protest (although I gave no examples of the latter). In fact, parody is recognized and protected by the law as a legitimate form of art, thus someone like Weird Al Yankovic cannot be sued for using someone else's material—as long as it is parody. Weird Al does not even have to ask for permission to use another artist’s material for parody; although he does it anyway out of professional courtesy. But when regular stories/songs/poems/etc use or borrow heavily from someone else's material, it is called being unoriginal (or worse) and is generally not accepted. Simply put, when you are just trying to make a new song, story, movie or whatever, the use of someone else's material does not sit right—at least with me.

That said, I don't think that you did anything wrong. It's just better to be original (that is, do not use someone else's lyrics for a template) when writing serious material. Hey, we're all using Bungie's intellectual property when we write about Halo. That, however, is far different than, say, submitting a fic that is merely a re-worded chapter out of one of Nylund's novels. Don't get me wrong: you didn't do anything like that. Nothing close.

But, as I said, your words matched quite well, and I would like to see an actual parody from you sometime. You certainly have the talent for it.

C.T. Clown
Azathoth

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2005 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got your points. I didn't even expect anyone to read it. I'm not much of a poet, so I probably won't be trying anything like that for a while.
Dagorath

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2005 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quit eliked it. Then again, it is a parody (see Chuckle's post) so maybe a little inappropriate. Not an analyser of poems/songs, so I won't go into it. However, if you want to change between two singers, maybe use italics for one of them. Better than doing a rather convoluted explanation in teh beginning.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    HBO Fan Fiction Forum Index -> Fan Fiction Comments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: