HBO Fan Fiction Forum Index HBO Fan Fiction
Forum for HBO Fan Fiction Related Stuff

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Why there are no Hunter Flood Forms!
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    HBO Fan Fiction Forum Index -> Fan Fiction Comments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
hboff
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2005 5:50 pm    Post subject: Why there are no Hunter Flood Forms! Reply with quote

This topic is for posting comments to:

Why there are no Hunter Flood Forms!
Posted by Havoc_legionnaire (havoc_legionnaire@Yahoo.com)
26 November 2005, 7:51 am

http://halosn.bungie.org/fanfic/?story=Havoc_legion1126050751321.html
Wiley K.

Location: Neutralizing the guards to 1000+ post land. They don't seem too competent.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2005 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Umm..this belongs on the HSP.
Mark25
BANNED

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2005 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yo dude, we ain't met, yet, but I genuinely thought this was great. I loved it, and...

Quote:
PS: I am sorry, folks. I didn't intend for this to sound like a Science Class Report.

Don't apologise, really, consider it a style. I loved that this 'doc' believed in his work. since it's late here in the U.K. and I'm currently pressed for time I shall comment 'fully' (this has got to be one of my shortest replies ever, but I felt the need to add my voice to what I'm sure will be an excellent debate...) within the next few days.

I disagree with your 'character' but boy have you got a great sense for science fiction and its psychological make-up. Beautiful beginning, just beautiful. So forceful, so confident, so determined.

I figure I'll leave it to someone else to mention the one or two GPS errors that populated (though not ruin, trust me) such a thesis, not my area I'm afraid my friend. I principally deal in ideas, everything else, is everyone else's field/problem.

Er, Wiley dude, what is HSP?

I am Ghandi incarnate, hear me 'roar'! LOL

Someone check if Main is laughing.
Wiley K.

Location: Neutralizing the guards to 1000+ post land. They don't seem too competent.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2005 11:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HSP = Halo story Page.
Mainevent

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2005 12:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And this really would be more appropriate there, I think.

I really can't tell if the speaker in this is the author or this is just a very unusual FF.
MC's Cousin
Mr. 1337

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2005 12:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

HSP is the Halo Story Page, Mark. Don't worry, I didn't find out about it for a while, either. There's a link to it on the main HBO site. A whole lot of good stuff in there. Basically, the space is used to discuss Halo theory and submit ideas about why stuff -- any stuff -- in the Halo verse is. A great place for speculation. I highly suggest you pay it a visit when you have a good about of time and take a long look around.

And indeed, I must agree with Wiley K. in that this should have been submitted to the Halo Story Page. It is a very nice little synopsis. Very well put together and containing some well thought out information. However, this particular place is for Halo Fan Fiction. I love what you have just presented, as I love delving into the intricacies of Halo and all that is presented for us, but this is not the place in which to present it.

If it had been done in story form, it would have been fine. And while this is fictional material, it is not Fan Fiction in relation to the story in the way which this place is meant. Stories and poems is what lies here.

So, bravo for some imformation well presented, but next time you have something of the sort, submit it to the HSP. (Actually, you still could.)
Phædrus

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2005 12:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, there's already an article about this there. But don't give up.

Anyways, this was very well thought out. I congratulate you on your evaluation, though this ground has been coverd before. Nice job.
Havoc_legionnaire

Location: Was in Jersey, Now in New York (Someone Bring Me Back!)

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2005 1:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

At MC's Cousin's advice, I tried to send it to the Halo Story page, but all I found there was a poem. Can Someone Help Me!. I am known for data analysis, physical experimentations, and football aggressiveness, not for my ability to surf the net. Shocked

As for CrazyGrunt's question, remember that we see Halo, and the infection forms, through the eyes of either the Chief or the Arbiter. They are around seven to eight feet tall! Using proportional analysis and rough estimates considering that the infection forms encompasses the entire left half of the human chest, an educated guess would put it around half a meter or a little over one and a half feet (I am Chinese/British American, I live in the US too).

And as for the other article addressing this, can someone please give me a link to it. Please!!!

As for Mark25, I say Niihau (Chinese for Good Morning), Oohiyo Gozaimasu (Japanese for Good Morning), Bonjour, and Top of the Morning to You.
CoLd BlooDed

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2005 2:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mark25 wrote:
I am Ghandi incarnate, hear me 'roar'! LOL

Someone check if Main is laughing.

I checked, he wasn't.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
MC's Cousin
Mr. 1337

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2005 2:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The link to send in a submission to the HSP is this: halostory@bungie.org. That will put your submission with all the others that people have sent in, and upon the next update (honestly, I don't know how often that happens) yours may be included in what is posted. It most likely will.

However, that may be incorrect if there is another submission too similar to yours.

Your best bet at finding a post similar (since, sadly -- and I am sorry -- I do not have the time to look through all the material for you) is to look through the Covenant and/or The Flood sections of the Halo Story Page

Hope all those links help you out in your quest.

But, we would love it if you wrote and posted an actual story here for us to read. Heck, that's why I'm here. So don't be shy. Stay and visit a while. I love to see new [at least people I have not seen before] people write.

Welcome.
Havoc_legionnaire

Location: Was in Jersey, Now in New York (Someone Bring Me Back!)

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2005 4:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, MC's Cousin. I'll take care of it this weekend, after my SAT and three papers. As for actual fictional work, as a bit of an amatuer writer(with emphasise on amateur), I can't say no. I wonder if I could ask your advice along with a host of others on several ideas that I have. But, if anyone needs me to scientifically settle an argument, feel free to call me, an arbiter of sorts.

PS: I just read you profile. Don't mean to be the bearer of bad news but Pat Morita (the guy who plays Mr. Miyagi) just die!
MC's Cousin
Mr. 1337

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2005 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Damn. That is a bit of bad news. Guess I'll have to change my profile around.

As for the ideas for stories, I am always more than happy to help out with the work of others. Ideas, reviewing, whatever. I love writing. So feel free to call on me, here, for writing purposes if you so need the assistance.

And I'll keep that offer in mind about science. I rather enjoy that subject myself.

P.S. Good luck on that SAT. I know the two (yeah, two) I took were a pain.
Wellington

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2005 3:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You wrote:
If the individual worms were fully sentient and intelligent, the hunters would be brilliant tacticians and strategists even with accounting for diminishing returns, data degradation, bridging problems, transfer rates, recursive errors, and allocation conundrums. The hunter consciousness is therefore a biological system wide neural network where the net consciousness does not add up to the sum of the collectives ability.

When is the collective intelligence ever cumulative? It can benefit from one another but if you take two guys with 100 IQ their collective IQ isn't 200.

You also wrote:
The nervous system, I logically concluded as nature runs on logic, is decentralized to serve the both the individual and the collective almost like a LAN system.

Possibly, though like multicellular organisms, colonies, like of bacteria for example, tend to have specialized regions. It is likely there would be specialized worms for cognitive, motor, and other nervous functions in a centralized area with nerve endings spreading throughout the organism.

Or not. Hahaha, who the Christ knows Smile It was a very interesting read, without a doubt. Nicely done on putting it all together so well. It would be a great addition to the HSP.

- Arthur
MC's Cousin
Mr. 1337

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2005 9:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Sum Abvis Reply with quote

kaylonapf wrote:
Befor u trye aand sond intaligant, membr thaat lil thinjs licke sphellng reveel ur troue intaligants.

I'll hope that that little bit was for the effect of what you were saying. Question

Regardless, indeed, there very well could be different worms that do different tasks such as cells do. It may not have started that way, but over time they may have adapted to preform as one large body more efficiently. So, perhaps they reproduce asexually by splitting, the new worm either a replica of the first; or by budding, that way the new worm can grow into any type the Hunter requires.

I have considered this possibility myself.

And no, IQ does not add up. A high one can help another high one, such as two intelligent people getting together and brainstorming; more often than not, if they do not argue, the product is better than what a single mind would have produced.

Likewise, a Hunter could benefit from multiple organisms, but considering the makeup, I do not think that a Hunter would be capable of "brilliant" strategies. Smart maybe, but not brilliant.
Phædrus

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2005 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, Kay, you need to uncheck that little box that says "Disable BBCode in this post". It's really annoying.

But yes, I got what you were saying.

Besides, Hav, you keep throwing out there that you're British/Chinese and therefore are very good at analysing things. That sort of detracts from the image. It makes it seem like you're trying to make yourself seem smarter than you really are. I'm not saying that you're not smart, and I can accept that a lot of those misspellings were typos, but this image you're trying to throw up is working against you.

Oh, and bad spelling doesn't mean you're stupid. I make a lot of mistakes, but I catch a lot of them. Being a programmer where one error can ruin the whole program sort of makes you paranoid about that. Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    HBO Fan Fiction Forum Index -> Fan Fiction Comments All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: