HBO Fan Fiction Forum Index HBO Fan Fiction
Forum for HBO Fan Fiction Related Stuff

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Insanity-01

Post new topic   Reply to topic    HBO Fan Fiction Forum Index -> Fan Fiction Comments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
hboff
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2005 4:53 pm    Post subject: Insanity-01 Reply with quote

This topic is for posting comments to:

Insanity-01
Posted by GLADIATRRR3000 (gladiatrrr3000@hotmail.com)
22 October 2005, 11:21 pm

http://halosn.bungie.org/fanfic/?story=GLADIATRRR301022052321121.html
Amaranthine

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2005 3:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ouch, ignored.
CoLd BlooDed

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2005 3:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, no, just forgotten. Wink

As for the story, I'm liking it. The descriptions were precise which allowed me to visualize the dark little cell he was trapped in, and overall this had a pretty dark atmosphere over it.

I can tell that things are about to get heedy. Keep it up.

And good to see you writing again! For all you people around that don't remember GLAD, he's so old school it hurts.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
russ687

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2005 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't tell if I've been absent far too much or if you're back from a long-time break. In any case, nice to see you again, GLAD; I'm happy to see some of the old guys still sticking around (that is, the old writers who just haven't been as active).

You wrote:
He had spoken no more than 10 times since he had gotten here, and he had long forgotten the sound of his own voice.

When I was taking journalism in middle school, my teacher said that you should spell out all numbers up to nine, and then numerically denote numbers 10 and above. However, in my writing class in college, my professor noted that certain number within reason should be spelled out, sort of a professional touch (i.e., 10, 50, 100 are numbers that should be spelled out, though numbers like 57 or 962, et cetera, did not). In journalism, you numerically write out all numbers above ten to save space, but in writing, especially fiction, that is not necessary. So when you come across a nice, generic number, such as ten, spell it out.

You wrote:
"As I have told you and your colleagues several dozen times, an entire military base and several thousand personnel were destroyed. As of this moment, this man is the only witness AND evidence we have. Insane or not, he saw SOMETHING goddamnit, and I'm sure you have ways of coaxing that out."

No offense (honestly, and I know by saying that people automatically get defensive), but I find using full caps for emphasis is a characteristically new-writer trait. On the contrary, I know you are not, so you did this fully by your own choice. Yet, I will point it out: Full caps look very sloppy, and the job is easily and far better done with italics. Keep it in mind.

You wrote:
"Who. In the hell. Was responsible."

Hmm. This was choppy because of your use of periods. I know you're trying to make it drawn-out, but periods is not the thing to use. Em-dashes are absolutely the needed punctuation here, but commas would have worked just as good. Not to mention, there should be a question mark at the end there.

Excellent ending. Good dialouge throughout, but it could get better, notably your punctuation and the full caps emphasis. Several places in your punctuation should really be commas (and you used periods), which really makes the flow awkward. This was fairly short, so I thought there was plenty of space for more scenery descriptions (such as describing the cell into detail, and his horrific dreams). Overall, this was well done.

-Russ
Caleb the Jackal

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2005 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I am not an old schooler like you all... But this is great writing. Saw a couple things gramatically but they either need not be pointed out or have already been.

Great quality. I wish that I had been a part of the old boards... I would probably be a better writer.

Well keep up the good work. I can't exactly say it is good to see you again because I don't recall ever "meeting" you. But still it is nice to know that there are still a lot of people from the old forums that are still active.

Thanks for writing well and using code.

Caleb
Commander Demitri Wolf

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2005 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

COOL! Well Chuck capitalises words sime times for effect, I think, maybe my brain's been warped. Nice story GLAD.
Amaranthine

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2005 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thank you all.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    HBO Fan Fiction Forum Index -> Fan Fiction Comments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: