HBO Fan Fiction Forum Index HBO Fan Fiction
Forum for HBO Fan Fiction Related Stuff

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Alien Brethren: Chapter 3 Life Debt
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    HBO Fan Fiction Forum Index -> Fan Fiction Comments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
hboff
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2005 12:16 pm    Post subject: Alien Brethren: Chapter 3 Life Debt Reply with quote

This topic is for posting comments to:

Alien Brethren: Chapter 3 Life Debt
Posted by Alex L (Greek Elite) (yoshi64y@aol.com)
25 September 2005, 8:44 pm

http://halosn.bungie.org/fanfic/?story=Alex_L_Greek0925052044251.html
Guardian
BANNED

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2005 12:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No Code?

http://halosn.bungie.org/misc/ffformdirections.html

Read this.
Tin Can Man

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2005 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I apologize for the last 2 chapters not having paragraphing except for scene changes. Hope you enjoy Chapter 3 and keep interest in Alien Brethren!
PS: This Chapter may not have as much action as the last two but wait for Chapter 4, it's filled with things that go BOOM!

Please, please don't just put action into a story just to try and make it more interesting. It makes a bit of a pig's ear of it. Wink
Pooman

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2005 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, sometimes action isn't the best thing. I liked the story and am excited for more chapters. You are a talented writer. 9.6/10
SYSTEM
The Hammer

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2005 3:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

- Boom, huh?

Alright, remember you're not writing a movie. Movies generally have lots of action, women in bust-baring outfits, and explosions.

I noticed the part you were doing when that poor Elite was being smacked around by those soldiers. Yup, the proverbial gallantry of the marines.

The thing is, things didn't go smoothly there. Everything was in short, simple sentences, and remember those short, simple sentences will jam up in action. Remember that in action, you want your reader to read quickly, and take in lots of detail at the same time, and for that, you'll want to use very long sentences. Generally, when I do action, I try to structure the very sentences to a rhythm.

Also, description. How does that Elite feel? We know he's feeling bad, but you're 'actoring' him. How does he feel? Does he have a family? Does he feel regret at having to die so young? Or will he be the warrior to the last? Will he die willingly in faith that his Gods will allow him a paradise after death? Ask yourself questions.

Learn to write stylistically before you can get to action. Master the basics first, they'll make you a better writer in the long run.

- Dave.

"When in doubt, empty your magazine." - Murphy's first law of combat operations.
GreekElite

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2005 8:46 pm    Post subject: I'm trying Reply with quote

Hey thanks for all your feedback. I'm still a bit new to Fan Fiction guys so I apolgize for errors i have made. I will look into some of the things you said to improve on for my upcoming stories. I figured i'd might as well note that 'action' was coming in the upcoming things just to get the reader a bit excited so i regret putting that side note in and i will try improving based on your other comments. Thanks!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Tin Can Man

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2005 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

S'alright. Very Happy

But action is a bad thing.

Done properly, it can add greatly to a story.

Anyway. you're doing pretty well. Listen to the advice, and you'll go far.

TCM
The Second Spartan

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2005 1:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not too shabby! I really enjoyed it. Razz I thought it could use some...i dunno...something...I can't find something out yet.
Gammamee

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2005 7:23 pm    Post subject: Code Reply with quote

Who cares about the frickin' code anyway! I had no problem reading it, I didn't even know what the text wall and the code was when I created mine so leave the new author alone!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Tin Can Man

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2005 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We're not criticising him. Just trying to help him.

TCM
GreekElite

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2005 7:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Code Reply with quote

Gammamee wrote:
Who cares about the frickin' code anyway! I had no problem reading it, I didn't even know what the text wall and the code was when I created mine so leave the new author alone!

Thank you for understanding! Smile
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Tin Can Man

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2005 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's true that there's too much emphasis on CODE. Neutral

TCM
Gammamee

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2005 4:57 am    Post subject: Story Reply with quote

Elite, I just have to say this story was good. Visualizing great as always. But...

One more thing...

And don't take this the wrong way because I absoletely love your style and story. (Alei is awesome) and I guess we are Fanfic buds.

I thought it was very uncanny the way, Alei stood in the presense of Baxter without hurting him or his troops. In the books and in the games the Elites will go in battle, hurtling themselves in impossible odds, because they are religious martyrs and all they want is power and divinity. They will use no Human weoponry even in the odds, just because of pride. At least that is what the Arbiter in the "Special Edition Halo 2" said. He said thier weaponry exceeds ours and they will not use the weapons. I was kinda confused though because I do see Elites that get on Warthogs and shoot you, maybe Bungie mixed up or something. But I really, really like your story. Alien Brethren is a awesome story and the plot is amazing.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
GreekElite

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2005 3:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Story Reply with quote

Gammamee wrote:

I thought it was very uncanny the way, Alei stood in the presense of Baxter without hurting him or his troops. In the books and in the games the Elites will go in battle, hurtling themselves in impossible odds, because they are religious martyrs and all they want is power and divinity.

Yes i know where you're coming from, and I didn't like Alei holding back against Baxter and the others as well but there was reasons for this. Alei was hogtied at first, a very uncomfortable state. This gave the Marines a chance to push him around. Once they took off the restraints, he was unarmed and weak. He still was still hurting from Baxter's take down on the beach (maybe I should have aknoledged his consistant pain when Baxter had subdued him). Also, he was being used as target practice and was trying to be run over by the Marines in the warthog. The odds were against Alei, and the reason why he hadn't attacked Baxter is because he knew the other Marines were going to kill him but Baxter ceased his execution and saved him, which Alei considers life debt. Why didn't Alei use his Covenant instincts against Baxter and other Marines by stealing one of their weapons and start slaughtering? Well Alei you'll find feels out of place with the other humans, as Baxter feels out of place with the Covenant when he's around Alei's squad (later chapters). Alei is not always that cold hearted covenant alein you always think a typical Elite is, he constantly wonders about the humans and knows they'd be a good alliance. Maybe i should have explained much of his thoughts and much of this in this chapter but that was a abstract mistake I made. I hope this clarrifys things and I hope everyone's looking forward to the next chapters! KEEP READING PEOPLE! Very Happy
Tin Can Man

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2005 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So basically it's kind of basically an Honour and Tactics situation? Perhaps he was weighing the odds and decided that tactically he would do better not to attack.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    HBO Fan Fiction Forum Index -> Fan Fiction Comments All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: