HBO Fan Fiction Forum Index HBO Fan Fiction
Forum for HBO Fan Fiction Related Stuff

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Revival of the Covenant: Chapter 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    HBO Fan Fiction Forum Index -> Fan Fiction Comments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
hboff
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2005 1:42 pm    Post subject: Revival of the Covenant: Chapter 2 Reply with quote

This topic is for posting comments to:

Revival of the Covenant: Chapter 2
Posted by Mizbehavin (mizbehavincy@gmail.com)
15 September 2005, 3:48 am

http://halosn.bungie.org/fanfic/?story=Mizbehavin0915050348351.html
Random 14-Year-Old

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2005 12:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The dialogue is pretty nice, when I can manage to pick it out of the massive paragraph and try to distinguish who's talking. Remember that no matter how mystifying your story is or how powerful your descriptions and characters are, the whole story will be less readable if it's all jumbled. Try to start an entirely new paragraph whenever someone different is talking, and when you start talking about a new topic.
Mizbehavin

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2005 4:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey I'm just putting this on here for my movie series it goes with so I'm not really treating the story that seriously, I'm just putting it here for parts you can't hear some characters say. So not to be mean or rude just lay off on the comments. You can read it if you want to but, it's mainly for my actors and for the people who are watching the series. I haven't started it yet but I'm ready to start filming soon. It's your choice read it if you want but remember it's not really for you. Neutral
Jester

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2005 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Were going to comment anyways, so stop being an idiot. If you submit it to this site then you should take it seriously. Besides if you write better don't you think that could help you with your movies? It will.
gruntyking117

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2005 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I liked it, but the story NEEDS more use of THE CODE. For this style For Bold
Mizbehavin

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2005 2:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jester, if your going to flame go somewhere else, Like I said comment if you want but don't flame about it. And I've got scripts they're way more organized. In the next chapter I'll make it more organized just for the sake of Jester. I'm sorry I keep forgetting about the code when I send this in I've typed it on my blog, copied and pasted it over here, and I keep forgetting about the code. The story starts off slow but it will get better around chapter six or seven. Action wise that is. Later chapters will get really in depth with the Covenant's history and the forerunner's technology, but there will still be fight's. One last thing, Jester I never said I don't write good I just said this isn't my first priority, my first priority is the movie, the script, actors and filmier's, updating the blog's scripts, and then this so look at all the details before you post something you might regret. Like I've said to almost everyone over on the HIH forums, " Watch what you say and get all the details first." Wink P.S. Still really sorry about not using the code as much, I'll get around to using it next chapter. Also why should I take this seriously if I submit it to this site? (sarcasm)

Last edited by Mizbehavin on Tue Sep 20, 2005 2:57 am; edited 1 time in total
Mainevent

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2005 2:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This isn't for people who shouldn't see it. This is for everyone to see it.

If you want to keep it secluded, then you should find another place for your story. This is definitely not it.

Otherwise you'll get criticism and occasional flames.
Mizbehavin

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2005 3:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I never said you can't read it. By all means read away, but like I said this is MAINLY for my actors and people who watch the series. The people on this site are the second group who can read it if they would like. I never said it's just for these people. I think I can handle anything else Jester or anyone else can throw at me. Trust me I've seen a whole lot worse than, "stop being an idiot". No criticism to you Main, but I am not trying to make this what you guys think it is. It is for everyone but yet again I'll say this is MAINLY for my actors and people who watch the movie because I'm constantly doing all sorts of thing to my blog and they'll have to wait. While all my actors can come here and read the series easily and be gone. So for hopefully the last time saying this, this is for everyone, reading it and posting comments, just don't come here saying I'm being an idiot or stupid for making this just for one group of people because guess what. I'm not. So like I said earlier please read all details.
gruntyking117

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2005 3:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mizbehavin wrote:
I never said you can't read it. By all means read away, but like I said this is MAINLY for my actors and people who watch the series. The people on this site are the second group who can read it if they would like. I never said it's just for these people. I think I can handle anything else Jester or anyone else can throw at me. Trust me I've seen a whole lot worse than, "stop being an idiot". No criticism to you Main, but I am not trying to make this what you guys think it is. It is for everyone but yet again I'll say this is MAINLY for my actors and people who watch the movie because I'm constantly doing all sorts of thing to my blog and they'll have to wait. While all my actors can come here and read the series easily and be gone. So for hopefully the last time saying this, this is for everyone, reading it and posting comments, just don't come here saying I'm being an idiot or stupid for making this just for one group of people because guess what. I'm not. So like I said earlier please read all details.
Yeah. But we are READERS and WRITERS. Criticism should be common place. We aren't trying to start a Flame War. If you wanted only your cast to see it, then only your cast should have seen it. If you post it here, then expect for critics to comment AND compliment your work. If you you think that everyone is going to love your story, then you're hideously wrong. If we're critisizing, it's usally bacuse we're trying to be helpful, not hateful.
Mizbehavin

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2005 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know not everyone is going to like my story, and I'm sorry. I know that most of these posts have been trying to be helpful and I've acknowledged them for it like you grunty about the code. I want to apoligize to Jester about yesterday I wasn't at my best yesterday. I had a horrible migraine, so I was yelling to just about everyone who got me angry. I'm going to start working on the next chapter tonight I will try to help everyone know who is talking and what the story is about in the next chapter. Once again I'm extremely sorry for anyone I might have offended yesterday. I'll let you guys know if I've got a migraine of that magnitude again. Sorry Wink
Jester

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2005 1:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wasn't meaning to flame you. Sorry. You have no idea how frustrated some of us get though, there are all these new writers coming in and then leaving and telling us they hate us because we were trying to help.
Mizbehavin

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2005 2:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I want to give you guys a sample of the new chapter for being so arrogant yesterday, but I'm having trouble starting it. It's kinda a sample of mixed emotions happiness, joy, hatred, anger, and sadness all in one. I can't give you a sample but I'll give you a quick summary. This chapter introduces one or two characters that will be a key part to the story from here on out. The beginning starts out with both leaders (Law and High Com) of each race deciding on what to do next. The Spartans want permission to board the Righteous Devastater once more to retrieve the Chief and disable the COM link, but before the spartans get their answer seven of the Covenant's ships prep up their slipspace engines and get ready to head into slipspace. Last minute thinking sends the Spartans after Law and his New Covenant. The outcome of their destination surprises everyone but Law and ONI spooks.

I wish I could send the first paragraph to ya'll (southern accent) but in typing that summary just got rid of my writers block. I'm going to let this die out now until the next chapter is released. You'll definitely see the use of the code and hopefully it will be more organized Wink See Ya'll later
P.S. I'm from Florida so I wont usually type you guys. Just a heads up if you see that in the story ya'll know why.
Jester

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2005 2:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I live in South Carolina. I know how you feel. The urge to use y'all in every sentence is nearly overwelming.
gruntyking117

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2005 12:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've pretty much trained myself against bad dialouge unless absolutley required for a character.
SYSTEM
The Hammer

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2005 1:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bad Dialogue is one of the issues that can plague us all.

When a character goes beyond his or her set limitations, that can become serious very quickly. You know, if you have a character that is normally very outgoing and loud, and raucous, and suddenly he or she becomes very quiet and withdrawn, that can be counted as breaking character if one does not have reason.

Of course, if one has reason, almost anything can be done. Characters must change and evolve, otherwise they can grow stale and that leads to stagnation. There are times, of course, when you will want that feeling, but I like to keep the majority of my characters constantly-evolving, especially the ones that I want to keep my readers interested in, like pivotal characters or outstanding good guys.

Then again, one must have reasonable ground. Maybe you've got an outgoing character that somehow has a traumatic incident and becomes shy and withdrawn? Or maybe a quiet, withdrawn one who reaches some kind of inner confidence and learns to be outgoing and friendly?

It all depends. Remember, don't let your characters become actors. Let your actors become characters, or they will become actors, and grow stale.

By the way: I do a lot of screenplay work for my stories to make them seem more real. Everyone should. Characters should do more than walk, talk, think, feel, and do things. They should live: inside your mind, and when you know you've done it right, they live inside other people's.

- Dave.

"When in doubt, empty your magazine." - Murphy's first law of combat operations.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    HBO Fan Fiction Forum Index -> Fan Fiction Comments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: