HBO Fan Fiction Forum Index HBO Fan Fiction
Forum for HBO Fan Fiction Related Stuff

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Glass and Steel: Pt. 2
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    HBO Fan Fiction Forum Index -> Fan Fiction Comments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
hboff
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2005 1:02 pm    Post subject: Glass and Steel: Pt. 2 Reply with quote

This topic is for posting comments to:

Glass and Steel: Pt. 2
Posted by Random 14-Year-Old (i-rule-2008@sbcglobal.net)
7 August 2005, 4:40 am

http://halosn.bungie.org/fanfic/?story=Random_14-Ye0807050440471.html
Master Chief Spartan- 117

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2005 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

THis one was a lot better than the first one. YOu finally involved some sort of combat/reference to combat. Lemme guess, the stone rock thingy is some Forerunner artifact, the Covenant come looking for it, they kill Ariana or someone in her fanily, and Ren goes out looking for revenge?
Solidus Snake

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2005 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can read it now, and yes, much better. And wow, five hundred years and MAD TV still hasn't been taken off the air.

And damn, kids can be devils, but then I saw it was just a test. So that saved you from making something silly.

And tell more about the guy that found the stone.

And yes, revenge is oh so sweet.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Random 14-Year-Old

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2005 4:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, thanks. I think I actually had my footing in this one.

You're pretty smart, Master Chief. But your ideas aren't quite the same as the corn I have planned.

Yep, much to the dismay of the UNSC, shows like Mad TV keep making fun of the war. Darn parodies.

Anyone seen War of the Worlds? Wink Wink Wink
sdn

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2005 4:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I liked it; it's a nice change from the tired Marine-blows-everything-up cliche. Sorry I can't be more useful right now. Sad
Syotica

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2005 4:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't get this off-topic man. Wink Yes, I've seen it, and I've liked it.

I'll comment later; Just wanted to get that clear.
Random 14-Year-Old

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2005 4:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sdn wrote:
it's a nice change from the tired Marine-blows-everything-up cliche.

My motto exactly. Cause, you know, if I do what most other people are doing, there's bound to be comparisons, which means I'd probably get the short end of the stick. Not to be pessimistic or anything... Laughing
sdn

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2005 4:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I'm more likely to give you the short end of the stick just for writing another of those stock stories. Very Happy I like to see new things, not rehashings of old ones. Keep it up!
Jester

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2005 4:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Until you establish yourself here you will get the short end of the stick. Veteran writers get away with stuff that new ones can't.
MasterSushi

Location: Sitting in a chair. On my own. Eating cupcakes. And people tell me to get a life. Ha.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2005 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marine's and Elites gettin' trigger happy is always an annoyingly popular theme in HBOFF today.

My best tip would be one you probably already seem to follow. Make sure each of your stories/series are unique. Make each one memorable.
Random 14-Year-Old

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2005 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Exactly, which is why I started a story in the past where I explain how Locklear didn't actually die but was sent to where the Forerunners had escaped to. But alas, it would have been a really LONG epic and I just don't have that commitment. Confused
russ687

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2005 3:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good dialogue; that is one aspect we've done well both in this chapter and in the last. It's casual and very pragmatic, and helps give your story a nice comfortable feel that is easy to follow.

I'd be careful about how often you use his name. It can get repetitive fast, so be sure to substitute in some pronouns to clear things up. As always, perfect flow should be one of your ultimate goals, so never lose sight that even the little things here and there (such as a name too many times) can disrupt it.

You wrote:
"No, it wasn't there!" one kid screamed.

GPS, my friend, GPS. Watch your capitalization, et cetera.

You wrote:
"Hahaha!" one boy cackled.

This is going to be a tough one, but don't spell out laughter, as it is rather unprofessional. It's a hard work around, but just use "One boy laughed" or something in substitution.

I chuckled at that whole "testing" thing. I forgot if you said this, but how old are these kids? Also, I take it from that little MadTV snippet that things had progressed far enough that such jokes would be socially acceptable, that or people have not seen the horrendous effects of war yet.

You wrote:
"No," Ariana said bluntly, but then added, perking up, "But he does send me some cool stuff sometimes.

I've seen this mistake a few times elsewhere. Don't capitalize the first word of the continuing dialogue (denoted here in bold).

I really laughed at the scene after Ren messed around with that Covenant helmet. Brave of you, but hard to take too seriously. It's difficult to write something like that in a serious fashion, and if that was your intent, you were off a little; though it was humorous to some degree.

You wrote:
They worked together in silence and within five awkward moments they had it opened.

You'll have to define how long a "moment" is. Perhaps you meant "minutes"?

Overall, it was good. Ending had a much more suspenseful effect to it, though it could still be stronger. GPS was good throughout, though you had a few minor mistakes here and there. Your installments seem to be fairly short, but as long as you get some good plot progression in each posting, you should be fine.

-Russ
Azrael

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2005 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No complaints, this was good. But having dealt with mothers that find me with their daughters (I've been sneaky, so the number is low), her reaction would probably have been a little angrier. But this is very accurately written and quite easy-going, so I'm getting the sense you may be writing from personal experience...which is an excellent thing to do.

...pretty intricate test, though.

Looking forward to how this progresses. Good luck.
sdn

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2005 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found the test part to be a little unrealistic, but I think the walk-in part was fine. It's just a matter of how liberal the mother is, and in this case she seems to be quite so.
Random 14-Year-Old

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2005 12:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, thanks for all the comments and help, guys. I just submitted Part 3 and I actually took some time reading it over and changing little things here and there. However, don't go into it expecting a lot of excitement--basically, it's just a prelude to the 'main conflict' that I'll get into at Part 4. Part 3 is just some filler, but I tried as hard as I could to make it interesting filler! Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    HBO Fan Fiction Forum Index -> Fan Fiction Comments All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: