HBO Fan Fiction Forum Index HBO Fan Fiction
Forum for HBO Fan Fiction Related Stuff

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Captain Grace Wilcox---Short Story

Post new topic   Reply to topic    HBO Fan Fiction Forum Index -> Fan Fiction Comments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
hboff
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2005 2:37 pm    Post subject: Captain Grace Wilcox---Short Story Reply with quote

This topic is for posting comments to:

Captain Grace Wilcox---Short Story
Posted by Mark Lieberg (malieberg@msn.com)
5 July 2005, 12:02 am

http://halosn.bungie.org/fanfic/?story=Mark_Lieberg0705050002111.html
Helljumper

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2005 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i dont' like how u started it. you kinda did it as a summary. You didn't visualize the characters for us. could've been alot better.

ODST
Mark Lieberg

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2005 3:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I wasnt really proud of this one.
#179/1204
"Studying Computer Information Systems (That's Programming for you retards out there)"
Mainevent

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2005 5:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also, "shot story" is not necessary in the title.
Mark Lieberg

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2005 6:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

blah...well i guess i can be labeled as stupid this time?

btw, CDW and I are working..on...nah..nvm. I wont talk about it...

well that Chp 8 i got 10 pages done, but the last four..still needs work.
#179/1204
"Studying Computer Information Systems (That's Programming for you retards out there)"
Mainevent

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2005 6:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Supid? Naw.

It was an oversight.
Mark Lieberg

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2005 6:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i hope i get more reviews..but hey...$h!t happens.
#179/1204
MC's Cousin
Mr. 1337

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2005 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's why you must work on a story with all your effort, Mark. If it doesn't feel right, keep on it until you are at least satisfied. You don't have to feel it is your best work ever, but make it at least as good as you can. Of course, that's experience, too. Oh, and, yes, you need not tell us what kind of story you are posting. A title is just fine.

I agree with Hell. It did start out in summary. Describe, don't tell--remember.
You wrote:
On a dark, rainy, thunderous day, the trees in the surrounding forest were an ideal location for cover. Plasma or motor fire would have to shoot throughout the entire area in order to locate their enemies.

Instead of that, describe what is happening around your character, or in your setting.
I wrote:
Another flash of lighting split the sky, lighting the forest below with a series of bright, strobing flashes. No sooner had the torrential sheets of warm rain been lost back into the dark and gray backdrop of clouds when the delayed crackle of rumbling thunder rolled across the landscape. The maze of trees scattered about the hillsides shrouded the muddied ground beneath, but only slightly. Even still, the array of thick trunks and scraggly underbrush made for dreadful battle conditions--more so for the enemy. The whole mountain-side would need be covered with morter blasts to eliminate the enemy in that fashion; instead leaving the area open only to slow and tedious ground assault via infantry.

And in that, you get a better scene, as well as more length. Just an example, and not something you need do for every two sentenses, but something to keep in mind.

Quote:
Another minute ticked by, and quietly, the Armour Piercing Fin-Stabilizing Discarding Sabot round flung itself from the holding chamber, into the firing chamber, and out the muzzle.

Well, for one, the bullet would already be in the firing chamber if it was to be fired--only after the bullet was fired would another replace it from the magazine. Semi-auto: The blowback would drive the bolt backwards, and as it was pushed forward again, a new bullet would go with it, stopping in the firing chamber. But that is inconsequential. What I really wanted to point out was that "quietly" is not the word for that sentense. A Sniper Rifle--and SRS99C-S2 AM UNSC Sniper Rifle equipped with APFSDS rounds--is not gonna be anywhere near quiet. Further, you cannot silence a super-sonic round, which a discarding sabot will be. Details, details. Gotta watch 'em.

Overall, this was pretty good. You're getting better. Just keep listening to comments and using the advice to improve. Keep it up.
Mark Lieberg

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2005 1:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah..........thats why i had a bad feeling about this...agpouabf gopab

well, maybe I should post my Chapter 8 in two parts cause I cant seem to get to writing the last four..and trust me..the first 10 pages are great. ...

it should seem like the books.
#179/1204
JCDentonCZ

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2005 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Come on, Mark, If I'd do this like you I'd be far around Part 54 or something by now, but all bad quality and a great idea misused. I'm working until I think, and the others, that it's perfect before I submit them. Like Dave, too, he won't post anything until it's perfected. That's also how I think.

For the rest, the try wasn't bad, the plot wasn't really bad, but even the greatest of ideas does not lead you to a great story. Without proper ways of telling, showing the story, It's not getting the attention and care it needs.

For examples, Jokes. If you time them right, even the dumbest of jokes can be fantastic and funny, but when you time it wrong, even the greatest joke's not much more than a few words.

Good luck with your next works.

- JC
Nick Kang

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2005 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There were also a couple tactical errors in there as well. If it was eight Marines against an entire camp of Covenant, the best chance you would have would be stealth. If I remember correctly, the UNSC has another type of sniper rifle, which can be silenced.
Also, if the sniper rifle was so loud, Covenant would be all over them.
Commander Demitri Wolf

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2005 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MC's Cousin wrote:
That's why you must work on a story with all your effort, Mark.
Thats why he's working on one with me Smile.
Mark Lieberg

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2005 11:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I posted Chapter 8. But its only half of the Chapter.

there will be another ten pages, or maybe just five after this submission later on.

I hope you guys like the chapter better then this one.

its called

Halo 2: AVoTS Chp 8--The Jump
#179/1204
Pajari

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2005 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MCC is right, this story could have benefitted immensely from some more precise detail. That's really the only problem with this one. It's a big problem and it needs to be fixed, but it's the only thing you have to work on. Your characterization, action, everything about your stories will become better with mroe concrete, precise detail.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    HBO Fan Fiction Forum Index -> Fan Fiction Comments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: