HBO Fan Fiction Forum Index HBO Fan Fiction
Forum for HBO Fan Fiction Related Stuff

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

A Unngoy Life: Chapter 3: The Resistance
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    HBO Fan Fiction Forum Index -> Fan Fiction Comments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
hboff
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2005 3:09 pm    Post subject: A Unngoy Life: Chapter 3: The Resistance Reply with quote

This topic is for posting comments to:

A Unngoy Life: Chapter 3: The Resistance
Posted by CrazyGrunt (thomas-hoskins@comcast.net)
28 June 2005, 6:19 pm

http://halosn.bungie.org/fanfic/?story=CrazyGrunt0628051819311.html
Zephyr

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2005 2:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Uh, yeah, what the fuck? Star Wars.....? Oh, and Grunts can't handle beam rifles, they're too big. THey can
t have energy swords, either, and they can't carry four weapons.
JCDentonCZ

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2005 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whoops, sounds like a supergrunt.

- JC
SYSTEM
The Hammer

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2005 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think grunts are too stocky and clumsy to weild energy blades.

I also figured that, since the Covies are very intent on keeping a rigid caste structure, they would keep the energy blades as a sign of holiness or honour. Notice how only the Gold or silver-armoured elites carry energy blades? Golden Elites are obviously ship commanders and are very high up on the food chain, and so are Silver Elites.

And notice how the Covies are so careful, in Halo One, to ensure that the energy blades don't fall into the wrong hands?

An energy blade is probably a symbol, to the Covies, of rank and importance. They wouldn't let a grunt take it.

- Dave.

"When in doubt, empty your magazine." - Murphy's first law of combat operations.
PeterPiperArbiter

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2005 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think this isn't going to be too realistic series..

Well, others have mentioned this already, but I'm going to say it also. If my memory serves me correctly, the plasma swords are supposed to be more of a ceremonial weapon and in not too great supply. I'd figure they're mostly for Honor Guard, Golden/White/Silver -elites. All of them who have a specific task, and in high places, as Honor Guard is guarding the Prophets, Golden/White are highly respected commanders and the Silver -armoured(stealth Elites) are more of a assassin-ninjalike characters.
Well, there might have been one or two of those reserved for ceremonial use in Unngo, so I'll let that much go.

But the Unggoy bodyfigure isn't fit to use them. They are what, about 5' tall? That's about 1,5 meters, and the sword itself is almost taller than them, I think. Now, and I haven't even mentioned their armour and breathing apparatus yet..

Well, i'ts possible that Nugga could have carried four weapons; come on guys, backpacks or pockets, anyone?

..The idea itself is good, almost great. Too bad you're pushing it "better" with a grunt who has somekind of Superman or would I say, SuperUnggoy syndrome and well.. It seems you don't think too much what you make the characters do. Consider, what they could do, if they were real.

..That's about all I have to say.. Do yell at me if I have gotten myself some facts wrong. The story isn't too bad, I'd say, but try to keep at least some sort of realism in it.
Caleb the Jackal

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2005 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave is totaly correct. The Covenant Elite's will barely talk to a Grunt. They would be totally angered if one was allowed to handle their sacred weapons.

Plus the Elite's are the ones with the swords. Not the Covenant. They are not outfitted with them from the Covies but from their planet. Like in the old wars.

Caleb

Think about all that.
JCDentonCZ

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2005 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not for nothing a Elite's called an Elite and a Grunt, a Grunt. I mean, Bill Gates wouldn't speak with you, a annoying, little, but still very irreplacable customer. Same with Grunts.

- JC
PeterPiperArbiter

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2005 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

But I've been thinking, though.. OK, the story itself is now already somewhat.. Weird.

But, I was just thinking that why couldn't/wouldn't an Elite speak to a Grunt? More importantly, when the time was as critical as it was; Flood attacking, the whole hierarchy falling down?
It seems to me that some of you are sticking too much with tradition, than being concerned of taking the stories further and better.

Well, of course the Elite would have some sort of tradition, learned behaviour too, and yes, it wouldn't talk to a grunt. At least not very soon. But I'd guess even an Elite has some survival instinct, and if it was stranded somewhere with a couple of grunts..

You know, if the current society falls down, I'm fairly sure that even if you hate immigrants, afro-americans or what ever that might tickle your anger bone, your "defences" would eventually come down in order to survive. In order to survive, you have to live with what you can get.

----

I'm not saying the way this story is being told is great, but.. Think about it.
JCDentonCZ

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2005 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Probably, but in this story, it was too fast. Only when a Elite would have a mission for a grunt, he would beam out a few words, nothing more. No talking, since talking also relates to revealing your weaknesses. At least, that's how I think about it.

- JC
SKyCapt

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2005 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WTF, where did Star Wars come from? Shocked ANd if you're going to put it in, then might as well get everything right: It's General Grevious, not Lord Grevious. And since when can Grunts use Energy Swords? And the Beam Rifle is way too big for Grunts. And I agree with the others, I don't think Elites would talk to Grunts, at least not much. And since when can Jackals use Energy Swords? Confused And Grunts aren't as brave as they are in this Fan Fictio Story. They're more like, "WHAT? GO AFTER THE DEMON?! ARE YOU NUTS?!" Especially not brave agaisnt the FLood. Wink
Mainevent

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2005 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, Elites do talk to Grunts. That would be like having a General completely and totally refuse to talk to NCO's. That just doesn't work, especially in the military.

We even see in Halo: The Flood, that Elites do speak to Grunts. They speak down to them, but they really seam to do so as a way to stroke their own ego.
Syotica

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2005 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As said, according to the Covenant Caste System, Elites protect Prophets, not Grunts, and Needlers, Plasma Pistols, and Fuel Rod Guns are the only weapons a Grunt can wield. An Energy sword is not to be use by one of ignoble rank, and a Grunt is nowhere near noble in rank.
The Front Page ~ The #1 place to talk about almost anything.
http://tfp-forums.com
Commander Demitri Wolf

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2005 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Only I may do Halo Star Wars crossovers.
SYSTEM
The Hammer

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2005 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="PeterPiperArbiter"]
It seems to me that some of you are sticking too much with tradition, than being concerned of taking the stories further and better.
[quote]

The Covenant's tradition make them the Covenant. If you break those, you break the Covenant, and in doing so, you break character.

Breaking character is one thing that nobody's allowed to do. What if I decided that one day I'd be senseless, dumb, and stupid, and play with safe toys instead of fire? You'd ask me, "Geez, what the hell's up with you Dave? You're acting senseless, dumb, stupid, and now you play safely?"

That's one thing that nobody's allowed to break. Character. Break a character, and the story breaks with it.

- Dave.

"When in doubt, empty your magazine." - Murphy's first law of combat operations.
PeterPiperArbiter

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2005 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave Luck wrote:

The Covenant's tradition make them the Covenant. If you break those, you break the Covenant, and in doing so, you break character.
- Dave.

Well, I wasn't saying that you can make Hunters dance bellydance and Jackals singing "Zoot Be Praised!", but the smaller stuff.
Like, why couldn't a grunt carry four weapons? It's not much. You could too, though it might hamper your movement, but anyways you could carry four pistols if you really wanted to.

Again. I'm not saying you should break character, but for god's sake, go easy on some things. That whining about the four weapons was perhaps one of the stupid rantings I have read here.
Though it was only a short mention.. It just poked me in the eye.
Perhaps I'm ranting now stupidly.. But, ugh. Forget I said anything.

Oh, by the way. How can somebody claim somesort of storyline theirs? Is it clearly written in the HBO FanFic -page that Demitri Wolf is the only one who is allowed to do Halo/SW -crossovers?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    HBO Fan Fiction Forum Index -> Fan Fiction Comments All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: