HBO Fan Fiction Forum Index HBO Fan Fiction
Forum for HBO Fan Fiction Related Stuff

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Spartan Wars: Neutral Bomb - Episode III

Post new topic   Reply to topic    HBO Fan Fiction Forum Index -> Fan Fiction Comments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
hboff
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2005 4:08 pm    Post subject: The Spartan Wars: Neutral Bomb - Episode III Reply with quote

This topic is for posting comments to:

The Spartan Wars: Neutral Bomb - Episode III
Posted by Random 14-Year-Old (i-rule-2008@sbcglobal.net)
25 February 2005, 3:11 AM

http://halosn.bungie.org/fanfic/?story=random_14-ye.0225050311413.html
thorn

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2005 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That was really good, keep it up.
Fraggio

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2005 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pretty good stuff, I think you're almost putting a little TOO much story into a multiplayer style fan fiction. A little story is good, but it's almost turning into more of a generic campaign story. Keep to the basics. But hell, that's just my opinion. Other than that, good stuff.
SYSTEM
The Hammer

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2005 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't forget - storylines and characters are the core of a story.

I haven't read it yet, but I'll say this:

Sometimes action can be used to show off the skills of the author around description - the way a soloist would stand up and show off his or her technique.

But it shouldn't revolve around it entirely.

I'll get to reading.

- Dave.

"When in doubt, empty your magazine." - Murphy's first law of combat operations.
MC's Cousin
Mr. 1337

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2005 3:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Dave, I was noticing something. Sometimes you leave that kind of post, but then don't follow it up. Maybe you just have just as tight a schedule as I do. Just noticing.

Anyway. Too the story.

Actually, I think adding a plot to something - such as MultiPlayer - that normally has little backbone to it is a good thing. For instance, when Gallagher first started talking about his current series, I thought "Well, this should be good: a nice little tale uncluding us HBOFF folks!". It has, however, developed nicely. As has this. It is not just some kind of random MP fic - it's a story with a purpose.

Some issues with flow and detail level throughout. So work on developing things a bit more and keeping your sentenses smooth reading. Slow things down a bit in the process, as well.

When you were going through the scene with the "substance", I got a feeling of it being almost comical. I hope this wasn't intentional. It wasn't drastic; but it just could have been delivered more solidly, to add more weight to the situation.

Overall, this was pretty good. Nothing all too major to point out - and that is a good thing. Still, keep using the advice you receive. Good luck.
Random 14-Year-Old

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2005 3:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah...well I'm not one of those authors that can easily show off any great description skills in action scenes. Maybe I can work on that, though.

Aw, the substance scene was comical? Drats. But it doesn't matter, because it WILL end up being comical when you see how it affects him. Anyone who's played a decent amount of online matchmaking will make the connection, at least.

Yeah, thanks to everyone for the advice!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    HBO Fan Fiction Forum Index -> Fan Fiction Comments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: