HBO Fan Fiction Forum Index HBO Fan Fiction
Forum for HBO Fan Fiction Related Stuff

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Fan Fic Pizzle of the Wizzle (October 16)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    HBO Fan Fiction Forum Index -> Fan Fiction Reviews
View previous topic :: View next topic  
The 14th Wonder

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2009 3:45 am    Post subject: Fan Fic Pizzle of the Wizzle (October 16) Reply with quote

A light load this week but an interesting one: promising stuff from some newer guys!

First up, Halo: Sangheili by acd137
Obviously, this doesn't have much business being posted as fanfic; it's essentially a summary with some game details. That said, this is a bit different than such submissions we get here in that it's actually a pretty nifty idea for a story as opposed to a fanboy wankfest.
The Point: If acd was up to writing this as a story, then it could potentially be quite cool. If not, maybe one of you other ruffians would have some interest...Wink. Presently, though, this is just a fan's idea for a game and we're all well aware of what happens to those. Or more accurately, what doesn't happen...

To the goodies:

An Honorable Mention* for Anders and the Arbiter by Spartan R41
Spartan R41 brings us what appears to be a novelization of a portion of Halo Wars (I've never played the game). R41 is very unique as a first-time submitter: his GPS is excellent. I am perhaps the most zealous grammar Nazi I know, and while this isn't quite perfect (No submission here ever has been.) I will say it's just as good in this department as just about anything I've read here. It's wonderful to see that from a new guy. Creatively, though, this story isn't quite up to snuff. It's obviously a bit handcuffed to an existing story line, but thus far it's a plot structure we're quite familiar with and it doesn't move forward much.
The Point:Superb mechanics (aside from a few awkward/forced word choices) and a solid handle on style, but a less-than-grand plot so far (Though I have no idea how much I have Ensemble to thank that for). Assuming this is continued as a series (and I hope it is) the plot could very well become more interesting.

And the winner is:

Veracity: Assurance by Shurmanator
Shurmanator brings a very good and, by the end, very chilling piece. I haven't read the other part, so I'm not sure if I'm missing anything, but it didn't feel that way. Stylistically and with his concept, Shurm did an absolutely fabulous job; I really enjoyed this all the way through. BUT (and in the way that Sir Mix-A-Lot likes 'em**) he does have many a clumsy GPS error (in English and Spanish Razz) and self-proclaimed grammar Nazi that I am, I get a teensy bit queasy handing out this Fic Pick. Though I will say this: even in my book, style and story still trump mechanics and Shurm did great with those two things.
The Point: This is looking to be a great series. If he gets his grammatical act together, Shurm is well on his way to being one of HBOFF's finest. Well-earned Fic Pick.

And that's all I got. Gents, how bout you do these boys a favor and drop 'em a comment would ya?***

*While I wouldn't normally even mess with an Honorable Mention when there were only two real submissions, R41 earned exactly that: an honorable mention for his mechanical merits
**If you got the reference, twelve gold stars.
***To certain Fic Pickers who have gone before, here's hoping you don't mind my use insignificant asterisked notes Razz
kr1
IRC Channel Operator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2009 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good work, Wonder, and to this week's submitters. I only skimmed the selections so far besides acd's, so I need to go back for a proper comment, but things looked pretty good this week. Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    HBO Fan Fiction Forum Index -> Fan Fiction Reviews All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: