HBO Fan Fiction Forum Index HBO Fan Fiction
Forum for HBO Fan Fiction Related Stuff

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Pyres in the Sky - First Runner-Up

Post new topic   Reply to topic    HBO Fan Fiction Forum Index -> HBOFF Contest Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kabu
IRC Channel Operator

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2009 8:47 pm    Post subject: Pyres in the Sky - First Runner-Up Reply with quote

http://nikon.bungie.org/misc/feet_first.html?p=pyres

Discussion, comments and feedback for Pyres in the Sky, by J. D. Ford

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2009 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry I took so long to get to this, JD.

This was excellent. You have a great talent for constructing a narrative, JD. Instantly, I felt like I was reading a short novel rather than a work of fan fiction. Starting from childhood, you presented us with a character we were able to grow quite fond of in the span of 20,000 words. Your style flows like water - extremely readable - and all your characters, both main and peripheral, are very fleshed out.

I thought the first two thirds of this story were outstanding. You set everything up very well and got me very interested. Unfortunately, I thought the main action was a little rushed. Moriarty became something of a caricature, and his plan was executed in a Bond-ish villain sort of way. The conclusion seemed especially ill-conceived, given the excellence of the first two-thirds: Creech's sudden suicide, and Alexandra's "happy ending," naming her child after the soldiers who had come to kill her father (and essentially did)... all of it seemed a little forced.

Ultimately, this is still an excellent story. It reads extremely well and for the most part is compelling. I think, though, that it may have been a little rushed to meet the deadline. (I know the feeling).

At any rate, great job, and congratulations on the win! I look forward to whatever you give us next.

- Arthur
Post new topic   Reply to topic    HBO Fan Fiction Forum Index -> HBOFF Contest Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: