HBO Fan Fiction Forum Index HBO Fan Fiction
Forum for HBO Fan Fiction Related Stuff

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Fic Pick of the Week Ė August 28, 2009

Post new topic   Reply to topic    HBO Fan Fiction Forum Index -> Fan Fiction Reviews
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kr1
IRC Channel Operator

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 12:25 am    Post subject: Fic Pick of the Week Ė August 28, 2009 Reply with quote

Fic Pick of the Week Ė August 28, 2009

Alright, itís been a while since Iíve done one of these, much less kept an eye on the Friday updates, but it looks like weíve got a solid lineup. Eight fics, five of them well-respected regulars, and a newer name or two I recognize but havenít had the pleasure of reading yet. So, letís get rolling!

Waiting for the Dawn by 4642 Elitist Bastard

ebís a newer regular and already got a series completed under his belt. Heís been working on this for a while, too, and it doesnít disappoint. Weíve got a story about one aging cruiser going to the rescue of a doomed colony here, and this is the calm before the storm. Itís very tense, as it should be, and a great opener. Very character-driven, with an interesting and diverse cast.

The Day Before Tomorrow: Part 8 by Azrael

After a bit of a hiatus, Az returns with the latest installment of his prequel to the Minuteman series. Itís quality stuff, as usual, and like ebís itís pretty character driven. We get to see some more of Ron Parsonís past, and how he ended up as a cook at Harvard. Also as usual, Iím a fan of Azís use of flashbacks.

Nai Gor (chapter two): Painkiller by Chuckles

Iím really ashamed to say Iíve never read any of Chuckleís work before, especially after reading this chapter. Iím not quite sure whatís going on, but itís chilling, and itís got me hooked. Excellent work.

What Once was Ours, chapter 1 by Jake Trommer

After finishing his first series, Jake picks up where he left off with his ĎAdmiralty Insurrectioní. Heís got an interesting setup here, with lots of potential intrigue, and his usual strength in characterizations.

Babylon HIgh Day 2 by Shurmanator

Shurmanatorís a new face around here, and heís got something rather unique: a story about a joint human-Elite school. Itís well written and intriguing, and Iím interested in where he goes with this.

shadows in the night by pudding30000010

puddingís new here, and heís got a bit of work to do. Itís a script but not formatted like one, full of GPS errors, and a personal pet peeve, has an authorís note at the top. Not a strong start, but if pudding works at it he can improve.

Rogues Chapter One by Henshore1

Henshoreís another newcomer around here, and like pudding, heís got some work to do. Heís got similar problems with GPS and formatting (block paragraphs are NOT OKAY). Work on your GPS and formatting and itíll go a long way to improving your work.

We March! by UNSC Trooper

Trooperís got a short poem here. I donít usually count poems towards the Pick because theyíre hard to compare to longer works, but itís worth the read.

Now, on to the picks!

For Honorable Mention weíve gotÖ

The Day Before Tomorrow: Part 8 by Azrael

Iím a big fan of TDBT and Azís work in general, and want to start out by saying that just because Az got Honorable Mention doesnít mean this wasnít a ggood chapter, it just attests to the quality of the other two winners. This is a Ron Parsons-heavy chapter, and Iím fond of the cook-turned-sniper. The last flashback Az gave us was a tense conversation between Ron and his brother, and this here shows us why Ronís estranged from his family in flashbacks, and at the same time pushes the invasion story forwards.

My only complaint is a minor one, and thatís a bit of a feel-good campy scene that would spoil a bit of the story for the uninitiated. Itís alright, just feels a little out-of-place and a convenient wrapup. Might just be me, though.

And in Second Place weíve gotÖ

Waiting for the Dawn by 4642 Elitist Bastard

ebís been putting a lot of work in this, and it shows. Itís a setup for a second part, but it doesnít suffer because of it. Weíve got a solid cast of characters here, all with interlocking backstory and relationships, and eb teases us and lets us know just enough, but at the same time the focus is as much on the coming rescue mission. Complex characters, complex story, all of it well thought out: whatís not to like?

I only have two minor complaints: itís not apparent this is a two-parter, and I only know because ebís been informing me of his progress. The second is a certain name change.

And finally, the Fic Pick of the Week goes to...

Nai Gor (chapter two): Painkiller by Chuckles

Why have I never read Chuckle's stuff? This is chilling, intriguing. I have no clue what the fuck is going on but I still need to keep reading to try to make sense of this. I'm hooked. Nai Gor is a twisted fucker, and I'm getting some ĎThe Devil and Tom Walkerí vibes from that dream sequence there, if it even is a dream sequence. I don't know, and thatís part of the fun.

The one small problem with this, though, is that I don't know if things are intentionally being left out, or if I'm missing out on bits because I haven't read the last chapter. Maybe a bit of both, but I've definitely gotta catch up.

And before we head out, folks, this weekís Master Chief and the Wang Monster award goes to... shadows in the night by pudding30000010

for referring to a Japanese man claiming to be related to Jackie Chan. Dude, heís Chinese, born in Hong Kong. Sarcasm, comment on Maxís intelligence? I dunno, but either way, I lolíd.

Night folks, and thanks for reading! Razz
IRC Channel Operator

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 12:35 am    Post subject: Re: Fic Pick of the Week Ė August 28, 2009 Reply with quote

kr-1426 wrote:
Weíve got a story about one aging cruiser going to the rescue of a doomed colony here, and this is the calm before the storm.

*tut tut* it's a refitted colony ship, not a cruiser Razz

Oh well. Great picks, kr (and not just because I got second). Congratulations to Chuckles and Az for first and third.
Chuckles

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 3:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the pick and kind words, Kr. Congrats to Azrael and eb. I'll be reading and reviewing your stories in the next day or so. I have the week off, so I'll have time.

kr-1426 wrote:
Quote:
The one small problem with this, though, is that I don't know if things are intentionally being left out, or if I'm missing out on bits because I haven't read the last chapter. Maybe a bit of both, but I've definitely gotta catch up.

I'm surprised that you understood much of anything without reading chapter one. And yes, the first chapter will fill in many of those missing bits.

Thanks again.

C.T. Clown
kr1
IRC Channel Operator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 1:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I just read the first chapter and it makes a bit more sense. Still enjoying the mystery, though. Wink

And I'm not sure if I mentioned it to all parties, but second and third were a tight race. Had trouble deciding for a while. Anyways, congrats again to everyone!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 4:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great job, everyone. Excellent week - and nice write up, kr.

I've read the three winners, and have thoroughly enjoyed them all. I'll try to get to some more later.

Congrats.

- Arthur
Post new topic   Reply to topic    HBO Fan Fiction Forum Index -> Fan Fiction Reviews All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: