HBO Fan Fiction Forum Index HBO Fan Fiction
Forum for HBO Fan Fiction Related Stuff

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Fic Pick of the Week (June 6)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    HBO Fan Fiction Forum Index -> Fan Fiction Reviews
View previous topic :: View next topic  
fallschirmjager

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2009 12:03 am    Post subject: Fic Pick of the Week (June 6) Reply with quote

Alright!

Let's get this over with before I sober up - just kidding, that won't be for a while...

Cheers to Chuckles for setting up such a good title system which I took the liberty of liberating from his review last week.

I was a little surprised at first when I saw the submissions, I didn't know if it was a lot or not. Even though we had seven submissions this week but I can't help but be disappointed.

People will probably disapprove of my selections but I chose what I honestly enjoyed.

Honorable Mention: So Terribly Amusing by SeverianofUrth

I know what you're thinking, I'm just choosing short pieces to review because I'm lazy...

You're about half right, there is the fact I'm rather tired this morning but it's also because this piece although being short has a certain sense of darkness about.

Recently I've found myself enjoying stories with tragic endings rather than happily ever after and I guess you can chalk this pick up to that fascination.

Keep up the disturbingly good wood, Sev.

Second Place Sierra 117 by themanofthepimps

Well I've never played HALO3 before, I doubt I've even seen more than ten minutes of game play videos but reading this I felt very nostalgic from the days of Combat Evolved Co-Op.

The style of writing is very easy to follow and although the story lacks a lot of substance, the characters make up for it in spades.

I mean when Jerry explained to Tom that he thought the Orbiter was "A squid-faced looking motherfucker that orbits around moons looking for some fossilized fish", I couldn't stop laughing.

I love people who can step back and take the piss out of something like that.

Most memorable moment?

"SON OF A BITCH THAT'S ONE OF MY MEN," bellowed Jerry. Master Chief fired and accidentally killed the marine before the brute had even done anything.

"I WAS TOO LATE," sobbed Jerry. He pressed start and scrolled down.

*REVERT TO PREVIOUS SAVE*

Christ, how many times did my friends and I do that in CE to try and save every marine we met? Too many honestly.

Overall a very interesting read but if you take your fan fiction serious you might not enjoy it.

Fic Pick of the Week: Soldier Girl: Part 10 - This City Hasn't Slept in Years by Adam Stark

Finally a contemporary piece...

OK I'd never heard of this series before now but that didn't stop me from getting into the story rather easily despite the large blocks of text.

What do I like about this story?

Well the conversations seem to flow very naturally and it is easy to imagine soldiers talking in such a manner after all that has happened.

The characters themselves are rather fleshed out and believable although there is some room for improvement. I still haven't grasped Sanderson's motivation but it is probably answered in somewhere in the proceeding nine chapters.

What irks me about this story?

The fact that the protagonist Sanderson is only a lowly PFC but is taken to her squad bunker by the Commander of the base really got on my nerves. Surely such a task would be delegated to a subordinate.

Weapon designations. I know I'm not one to talk after my first series and I even made the same mistake in the rewrite but I really find weapon designations stick out like a sore thumb in text.

I can understand wanting to show us what weapon the character has exactly but this is only interesting to those who have played the game. To someone unfamiliar with theses it only stems to break concentration.

Just saying it's either a shotgun, a pistol, a rifle or a missile launcher is sufficient.

Overall judging by this chapter, the series has the potential to be very good. A true diamond in the rough. Please read this if you have the time and share your thoughts.

Will you keep my secrets hope to die?
SeverianofUrth

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2009 2:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grats to all the winners.

!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    HBO Fan Fiction Forum Index -> Fan Fiction Reviews All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: