HBO Fan Fiction Forum Index HBO Fan Fiction
Forum for HBO Fan Fiction Related Stuff

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Fic Pick of the Week (May 22)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    HBO Fan Fiction Forum Index -> Fan Fiction Reviews
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kr1
IRC Channel Operator

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2009 3:53 pm    Post subject: Fic Pick of the Week (May 22) Reply with quote

Alright, the updateís small this week, and weíve only got two stories to choose from here. Theyíre both some of my favorites here, though, so itís gonna be a tough choice. So here goes the Fic Pick of the Week.

First, weíve got Of (Some) Consequence by SeverianofUrth

This is true to Sevís usual style. Itís a short piece about a woman who chose to stay behind during an invasion out of some dubious loyalty to her home. Itís got that dark, gritty feel, and I canít help but think of the Russians that stayed behind in Enemy at the Gates.

Where this shines, though, isnít the realism of the story so much as the character. Anna just feels refreshingly normal. Sheís just a regular woman, getting over her fear of the war by trying to live her life like normal, and Sev fleshes her out with little details that really humanize her. He wraps it all up with a suitably grim ending, too. Maybe a bit too grim, but Sev will be Sev.

On the other hand, we have Attack on Installation 06, part 21 by Jake Trommer

Jakeís style is about the reverse of Sevís, and much more true to the tone of the games themselves. Itís a kind of blend of space opera and military scifi, and while itís not particularly lighthearted, itís still fun.

As usual, and like Sev, Jakeís characters stand out. The cast is a mix of original characters and secondaries from the games, with each game persona staying true to character (save Hocus, who Jake more or less made his own character for lack of existing characterization), and the original characters each getting their fair share of attention.

There were two problems that jumped out at me, though, neither huge but enough to be noticeable. The first was Jakeís pilot Elites. Heís had this problem before, but they sound like humans. It can be explained away by cross-cultural training, but itís still weird. The second was describing a character using movie characters. Thatís just groan-worthy, Jake, and is especially bad in fan fiction.

Now, these are both good, and different enough in style and material that it really depends on your mood what youíd prefer. Both are short, solid pieces. But Iíve been on a post-apocalyptic bent lately, so for the Fic Pick of the Week, Iím gonna have to go with:

Of (Some) Consequence by SeverianofUrth

Sorry to break your second-place streak, Sev, and congratulations to both of you.

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2009 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the tips; kr. I was kinda trying to drop some info about the UNSC's pop culture, with the Marines knowing those movies quite well. I guess it didn't work out.
kr1
IRC Channel Operator

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2009 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I kinda got it, but it just seemed weird that they'd even think of a 500 year old movie. Plus, using characters from other movies is a bad fan fiction trope. It didn't seriously detract from anything, just felt off.

And good job on upping the length. Short still, but not painfully so. Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    HBO Fan Fiction Forum Index -> Fan Fiction Reviews All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: