HBO Fan Fiction Forum Index HBO Fan Fiction
Forum for HBO Fan Fiction Related Stuff

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Fic Pick of the Week (February 13)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    HBO Fan Fiction Forum Index -> Fan Fiction Reviews
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kr1
IRC Channel Operator

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 4:35 am    Post subject: Fic Pick of the Week (February 13) Reply with quote

Sorry to all the readers that this is so late. Iíve had a busy week, so Iím going to be doing the Fic Pick for the February 13 and 20 in the same update. I've only finished the 13, though, but I'll edit in the 20 later.

February 13

Letters of a Corpsman: Finality by (ENS) Rabid_Gallagher

The ending to Gallagherís Letters of a Corpsman, with a letter from Michelle, and from her CO.

Halo: Forgotten Heroes by OutsideTheBoxFilms

Weíve got a script for a machinima here, a first as far as Iím aware for HBOFF. As a working script for the voice actors, itís fine, but for the reader, thereís nothing but dialogue. Needs more description and imagery for the setting.

[url=http://halosn.bungie.org/fanfic/?story=kabu0213090346361.htmlIn Which Misfortune Will Soon Befall Our Protagonist - A 'Bad Days' Interlude[/url] by kabu

After the ending of kabuís opening arc to Bad Days, weíve got the prologue to the next arc. Not as funny as his usual stuff, but very well-written, and a nice setup for whatís to come.

Infestation 2008, Chapter 4: Mobalization by Baneofdeath

Latest in Baneís story about a Flood infestation set current-day. Short, needs a lot of GPS work.

Halo Clone Wars: Chapter 1 by Enthrone Darkness Triumphant

First chapter of a Star Wars: Clone Wars/Halo 3 crossover. Not much going on story-wise, although it seems more Star Wars than Halo heavy. From a technical standpoint, needs a lot of work.

The Marine, the Rebel and the Sangheili: Disembarkment by QuantumSheep

Typical of Sheepís stuff, this is very long. Couldíve stood to be a bit shorter, too. Prose and dialogue is a bit clunky, but not bad.

master chief and the wang monster by ball master the masterbater

This probably shouldnít even be acknowledged in the Fic Pick, but if you arenít easily offended and could stand for a laugh, you might want to give it a read. Itís short, absurd, and pretty much exactly what it sounds like.

Now on to the Pick itself. For Honorable Mention, weíve gotÖ

The Marine, the Rebel and the Sangheili: Disembarkment by QuantumSheep

The Good: Sheepís Fic here is solid. Itís readable, itís light on GPS errors, and thatís getting to be increasingly rare around here. Itís good to see something where the writer pays some attention to that kind of thing.

The Meh: While Sheep does well with his formatting, the story itself is pretty average. The dialogue sounds wooden and could use some work, and the prose is a bit clunky. For what happens in the chapter, too, this really doesnít need to be as long as it is, either. Sheepís a semi-regular contributor around here, though, so he deserves the recognition for that alone.

In Second Place, weíve gotÖ

Letters of a Corpsman: Finality by (ENS) Rabid_Gallagher

Nifty: Gallagher had a neat idea here, showing us letters between a marine and her husband through a magazineís Letters to the Editor. Itís something heís used before, but not on its own that I recall. He gets points for originality and for having an overall nifty premise.

Those Little Details, Though: A few things in this just didnít do it for me, mostly minor details. The fact that her CO read the letter before sending it along to her husband didnít seem right (although I did like the connection to Gallagherís other stories there). On top of that, the letter didnít sound like the kind of comforting thing youíd send knowing you were dead. It almost seemed kind of demanding. Overall, though, I liked it.

And finally, First Place goes to [url=http://halosn.bungie.org/fanfic/?story=kabu0213090346361.htmlIn Which Misfortune Will Soon Befall Our Protagonist - A 'Bad Days' Interlude[/url] by kabu!

Surprised?: Not really. Kabuís been putting out consistent quality stuff since he started posting here these past few months, and on a pretty regular schedule. Heís actually finished his first story arc, too, something us HBOFF regulars are notoriously bad at. His latest piece isnít as all-around humorous, but still worth a chuckle hear and there, and does a good job setting up the next arc.

Issues?: None, really, besides the long-ass Mark-style title. If youíre picky, it doesnít have Private Myers and itís not quite the same in tone, but only if youíre being picky.

Congrats to the three of you, and to everyone for submitting and keeping this place alive.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 5:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

'Gratz to the winners. I'll be taking a good look at these this weekend.

~J. D.
kabu
IRC Channel Operator

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't worry, the next chapter is going back to Meyers and the gang. I just needed to introduce a few new characters (both of them will be some part of the story). It will probably be ready by next week.

On another note, I believe that I was unworthy of this honor: Master Chief and the Wang Monster surpasses anything I will ever do in eloquence, drama, and daring style.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats, Kabu. I'll be catching up on your stuff this weekend.

C.T. Clown
SYSTEM
The Hammer

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good on ya, Kabu. Keep up the good work.

I apologize to anyone I have not offended yet. I will get to you shortly.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    HBO Fan Fiction Forum Index -> Fan Fiction Reviews All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: