HBO Fan Fiction Forum Index HBO Fan Fiction
Forum for HBO Fan Fiction Related Stuff

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Azrael's Fic Pick of the Week (11/2-11/9)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    HBO Fan Fiction Forum Index -> Fan Fiction Reviews
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Azrael

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2007 11:00 pm    Post subject: Azrael's Fic Pick of the Week (11/2-11/9) Reply with quote

BEHOLD! The return of Chuckles!

Glad the Clown ended his hiatus. Maybe he'll finally finish his series Court of Darkness, which is a terrific read thus far. Not for the squeamish, though. Anyway, Chuck wrote a parody of a Nickelback song. Entertaining, but not this week's winner. It's my grudge against Nickelback.

Further, the new chapter from my series, Minutemen: Cronin Protocol is finally on your digital shelf. I will right now rule out ever claiming myself the Weekly Fic Pick crown, just because that seems like a real dick move. But Minutemen: Cronin Protocl Chapter 14 is out, and you should read it. And comment on it.

The competition:
Gosh darn it, this was a great week. Save a few text walls of doom and one kid who gave canon the finger, there's some GEMS in here. Here are my favorites:

Worth mentioning: Harold's: Scotch Rocks and Irish Coffee by Phaedus (should I call you Phaedrus or A Halo Fan...atic?)

The all-dialog approach is hard to do, and he pulls it off with style and humor. Sets a wonderful picture of civilian life during the war. In a down week, this is a winner, but he had the unfortunate pleasure of going against some truly great storytelling. This story is quick and fun. You should read it.

I also like the title because it shares the same name as the main character on my show for HBO. (See it at youtube.com/runawaybox. shameless plug over.)

Honorable Mention: Long Time Gone Reveille Part Two: What You Live By by fallschirmjager.

This is a brilliant series, and it's only two chapters in. You can tell he spends a LOT of time getting his chapters together, and it pays off in spades. The characters are fleshed out, everything from their appearance, voice, and actions are wonderful.

To really bring it home, his action scenes are tense, fast, and explosive. Some engagements have me confused as to how things are unfolding exactly; this is not a problem Fallschirm has. The cliffhanger is great. This is shaping up to be a truly excellent series. Not much in the way of weaknesses (a handful of words are misspelled), but Long Time Gone and Harold's share the same sad fate: they went against one of the best stories I've read on HBOFF.

Fic Pick of the Week: Green, Green Grass by Arthur Wellesley

Oh. My. God. I haven't seen a story like this since Chuckles' Father's Eyes. I just want to get this out of the way right off the bat, and this is the biggest weakness: this story has absolutely nothing to do with Halo. You can try to say it does because it pays lip service to some kind of Halo-based conflict, but that might have been added in after it was written so it was acceptable to post here. Nothing to do with Halo. But as I have said before to other authors, the best stories are ones that would be good if you knew nothing about Halo, and this is a truly great short story.

The dialog between the characters is impeccable. The scene is set masterfully in a hotel bar, which I have seen more than my fair share of, and you can tell Arthur just gets it. The interaction is warm, it flows perfectly, it's just so freaking REAL. I love it.

Without giving too much away, the main action at the end (and if you've read it, you know what I'm talking about) is perfect. I can't discuss it yet, because it has to be experienced. Let's just say that Arthur clearly knows what he's doing, so just sit down, relax, and let me work his magic.

Arthur's no rookie (to borrow from Fallschirm), he's had some amazing series like Here Lies Sarah Eaton and Umbra Ac Cinis. They're worth your time after you get through this week's homework.

God, this story is incredible. Read it right now. Then read the others I've listed, and you've enriched your lives.

PS: IMPORTANT
As some of you have maybe seen, there's been a few writers who don't grasp formatting and such. If you take the time to read this and see whose stories are good, you should take the time to comment on other's stories as well. Just because they're not on here doesn't mean they're not capable of better.

I've been discouraged lately by the lack of comments in the fan fiction section. This is a community, and we should support each other and help each other grow. I wouldn't still be posting stories here if I didn't have support and readers and teachers. COMMENT. Not just on the winners of the Fic Pick, but on the other stories as well.

It should be our responsibilty to pass the same courtesy on to others. Nothing feels better than seeing comments on your story. Spread that good feeling. It doesn't take that long, and it beats the hell out of typing some BS thing on the OT thread (not to knock the OT thread...that much). Hope you all have a terrific weekend!

Slap hands,
Azrael
Phædrus

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2007 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Drat! Mentioned three times in a row but not picked! Damn, I have the worst luck, don't I? Submitting at the same time as 'Schirm and Arthur, AND the return of Chuckles to worry about. Rolling Eyes

Razz

My story for next week won't be a Harold's story, but since it's a gift fic for Draconic, I don't think it'll get picked. Sad

And Phaedrus is fine. Wink
fallschirmjager

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2007 12:58 am    Post subject: Re: Azrael's Fic Pick of the Week (11/2-11/9) Reply with quote

Azrael wrote:
To really bring it home, his action scenes are tense, fast, and explosive. Some engagements have me confused as to how things are unfolding exactly; this is not a problem Fallschirm has.

Could you expand on this a little Az? I'm the one confused this time! Laughing

Will you keep my secrets hope to die?
Arthur Wellesley

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2007 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks a lot, Azrael, for the great comment. I highly appreciate it.

But, wow, I have to thank you for much more than just your review. This series you've got going on, "Fick Pic of the Week" is just remarkable. I think we've all noticed a decline in this community of late - that's why I've been on hiatus, like so many other authors. I complained about it, but didn't really do much about it.

This is a really tremendous idea to get some vitality back into this community. This takes time and dedication and I would just like to express my appreciation for the job you're doing.

I wish we could get some of the old guard back into the fold - I see Chuckles is back, but there are many more out there. This used to be a fantastic, vibrant, and active community. I sure hope it can be like that again.

At least you're trying to make it so.

- Arthur
Syotica

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 6:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Haha nice job. Sorry about how long it took to get around to sticking it up for you. Wink
SeverianofUrth

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2007 6:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The news that Chuckles will once again start writing here is enough to bring me back.

Oh, and Arthur too. Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    HBO Fan Fiction Forum Index -> Fan Fiction Reviews All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: