HBO Fan Fiction Forum Index HBO Fan Fiction
Forum for HBO Fan Fiction Related Stuff

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Strange Aeons - Chapter 0: Prologue
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    HBO Fan Fiction Forum Index -> Fan Fiction Comments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
hboff
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2004 5:16 pm    Post subject: Strange Aeons - Chapter 0: Prologue Reply with quote

This topic is for posting comments to:

Strange Aeons - Chapter 0: Prologue
Posted by Berconius (Berconius@hotmail.com)
14 September 2004, 3:04 PM

http://halosn.bungie.org/fanfic/?story=berconius.0914041504281.html
echo3kilo

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2004 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wonderful...good format, well thought out, consistent. keep it up.
Berconius

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2004 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you! Just a sort of a warning to readers, this fic is going to have a lot less action than most. It's the characters and the setting that I'm writing about, not the combat.

Whee I'm finally posting fanfiction!
MC's Cousin
Mr. 1337

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2004 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You know, there was another writer that announced that development. Action should not be your primary concern when writing a story. The quality of the writing is what is important. As long as that is good, it doesn't matter how much or little action your series contains.

Right from the start, it felt like you gave it a more... darker mood. Not higher feelings, more of a last chance, or death feel. I think it was good that way.
Good use of the code, fair detail, for most of story. Though, this first part was more of a descriptive, and not a narrative. Kinda a prologue in slight story format. It works, I suppose.
An interesting direction to take the beginning, what, blowing up Earth and all. Not sure they would have done that, considering that Earth was what the were all fighting for. But, I'll still stay and see where you take this.
thedarkfire

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2004 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You led it to where they weren't fighting for earth but fighting for they're own survival. That was an interesting idea blowing up earth to destroy the armada. I liked it.
Berconius

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2004 4:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To MC's Cousin: Yeah, I think I read that post from whoever said it would be about the characters...can't remember who though.

About blowing up Earth, I got pretty sick of people writing battle for Earth fics that were more like Fall of Reach plus infantry combat so I went with wiping it out in my prologue. Save myself the trouble of writing battles to save it.

I definitely went with an air of desperation and rage on this piece. It's something I don't see all too often in HBO works.

It's finally occurred to me that this is the type of thing the US and Russia would've ended up with if the Cold War blew up into nuclear confrontation...taking the other guy with us. Anyway, thanks for reading!
MC's Cousin
Mr. 1337

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2004 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Berconius wrote:
To MC's Cousin: Yeah, I think I read that post from whoever said it would be about the characters...can't remember who though.

I went and did some research. Here's the comments page to that story:
http://hboff.bungie.org//viewtopic.php?t=49

Berconius wrote:
About blowing up Earth, I got pretty sick of people writing battle for Earth fics that were more like Fall of Reach plus infantry combat so I went with wiping it out in my prologue. Save myself the trouble of writing battles to save it.

Yeah, I noticed people liked doing that too. Personally, I don't really mind, that is, if the story is written well and developed well. A lot of newer writers, however, see the announcement trailer, E3 03, [and in the case of the more knowledgeable of them, after reading the ending of H:FS], want to write about MC hauling ass to Earth and fighting for it. What most of these stories lack, though, is creativity and originality; many of them all sound the same.
Berconius

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2004 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, props to Mind_Affecting_Parasite and SYSTEM. And to MCC, of course.

And what you say is most certainly true, a well written story is a well written story, regardless of the background theme. Usually, I don't get far enough along in a series before giving up, though. I know it's a bad habit, to not read on, but I'm no more dedicated than the average reader anywhere else in the world. I read stuff if I'm captivated by it, and a battle for Earth fic feels like such a chore, being done over and over again from the very beginning of HBO fanfiction until now...but like I said, it's a bad habit to not give these writers a good chance to show what they want to do with their work.
Grunt-Boy

Location: In a land so myserious, so desolate, so...so...um...o well i just live in South Carolina

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2004 10:59 pm    Post subject: HOLY SHIZZLE!!! Reply with quote

OMG!!! THAT was the best friggin story I have ever read. That story has a lot of branching paths it can take. Will that big ship be destroyed? Unlikely. Will it slaughter the Covies without mercy? Most likely. This was an excellent, and original, fanfic I have seen thus far. Teach me like now. Please. Please. PLEASE!!!!!!! Smile
It was so excellent. I only hope that one day I will have the skill you have. Seven million trillion kudos goes to you for a most original, suspensful, non-action packed story. By the way, the non-action was probably what made it as good as it was. But who knows? What made the game the most excellent game I, and millions of other people have played, the best game ever? In the history of mankind? I don't know and I don't care. (Although I am somewhat curious as to what it is.) Your story can be compared to the infamous Halo: Combat Evovled. I love your story. I hope you don't die or get your hands chopped off so you can't type any more. Earth based action stories are getting to be a chore to read. People need to make a story like as to where the Covenant came from. (I tried to scratch the surface of that idea. Has anyone tried it before? And for those of you who read my sig, The Hakarans are from a story I made((Origin of the Species)) but sucked and was cancelled along with my "career". I doubt any story will come close to the magnitude of magnificence of your story.
I hope more people will make your story an influence to story writers everywhere and try to compare their stories to yours. You certainly have inspired me to continue my story writing. I will compare my writing to your work. How old are you? I'm just wondering.

the end. (I bet abunch of you are thinking: about time!
MC's Cousin
Mr. 1337

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2004 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MCC thinks: "It's about time!"

Glad to know you'll be writing again. Cool
Grunt-Boy

Location: In a land so myserious, so desolate, so...so...um...o well i just live in South Carolina

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2004 1:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

im not talking about my story writing continuing, im just talking about the end of the post.

the end.
Nick Kang

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2004 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with everyone here (though not with such a magnitude of Grunt-Boy) . This was a very good story...kinda reminded me of Defender, when the Humans attached that ship to the moon and piloted it into Earth in order to wipe out the Manti infestation that had nested there...god that game is hard as hell.

I'm getting ahead of myself. I agree with MCC, in that too many people focus on action and completely miss the entire point of writing, which is creativity and imagination. Although, counter to what I just said, it's good to have some action. Without excitement, people will be bored away from the story a lot quicker than you might think.

While this isn't the best story I've ever read, it was worth taking my five minutes away to read.
Berconius

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2004 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Haha, thanks to everyone! 'm sure as heck going ot continue this as soon as I find the time.

About Defender...oi, that was a tough one. I had to give up trying after the second piloting portion, but I LOVED that thing. It was like Zelda meets LifeForce or Gradius. woot to classic gaming.

To believe that my work will be the stadard by which other pieces are compared, though, is something that I cannot believe will ever happen. There have been other who came before me who dwarf my work tremendously, both in thematic and semantic quality. A fair example is the Archon series by Wado. Any work by Mr. Bill kicks the tooey out of mine. Dispraiser was an incredible writer in his own right. Walker is the person who inspired me to write when his debut series, with those three marines stranded on a planet, waiting for pick up. The list goes on.

Besides, I have to be modest, no? Smile

And for those wondering, I'm 15. No stalkers, please...
MC's Cousin
Mr. 1337

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2004 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, it's a good thing you don't let your head get too big. I miss the older writers, but, I suppose sometimes you have to move on. That's why I encourage these new writers. You never know when a new good'n will pop up, or rise up.

Now, as for Grunt-Boy's reference to someone writing a story about where the Covenant came from... well, if anyone be daring enough to try, please do a good job. It is not a bad idea, but if it is not given proper care and research is not done, it will most certainly not be up to par.

Anyway, I'll go back to waiting for the next FF Update...
Nick Kang

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2004 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm kinda writing one like that...it's about a race that got drafted into the Covenant and rebelled...kinda weird.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    HBO Fan Fiction Forum Index -> Fan Fiction Comments All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: